Safeguarding the Environment, Responsible Stewardship, Strengthening Democracy, Using the Skills of the People, Partnership and Community, Fighting against Poverty and Oppression and for Liberty and Social Justice
The Liberal Democrats exist to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, in which we seek to balance the fundamental values of liberty, equality and community and in which no-one shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity.
- We champion the freedom, dignity and well being of individuals.
- We acknowledge and respect their rights to freedom of conscience and to develop their talents to the full.
- We aim to disperse power, to foster diversity and to nurture creativity.
- We believe that the role of the state is to enable all citizens to attain these ideals, to contribute fully to their communities and to take part in the decisions which affect their lives.
Being a Liberal Democrat is different - you have the power to change things.
- Our members decide on policy as Conference Representatives.
- They give their communities a voice - whether that's locally or nationally and they elect our leaders, meaning our Party Leadership is answerable to you.
As a member of the Liberal Democrats you can:
- Make your voice heard by having your say on our policies and our manifesto. We trust you and that's why, in Government, we've been putting our members’ policies into action.
- Give your community a voice by campaigning in your local area. Liberal Democrats all over the country campaign on local issues the whole year round - not just at election time. Now as a member, you're in an ideal position to make sure that your voice is heard.
- Make the Party your own by voting for your local representatives, our Party President, and our Leader. Your vote counts for just as much as anybody else's - it always has been and always will be one member, one vote.