COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE: EQUALITY & DIVERSITY MATTERS
If a member of Stratford and South Warwickshire Liberal Democrats feels they have been discriminated against by Stratford and South Warwickshire Liberal Democrats or by any member or representative of the local party, or harassed at a Stratford and South Warwickshire Liberal Democrats event, they should raise the issue with a member of the Executive Committee as detailed below.
The first stage for a complaint should be to contact the Chair, or the Vice Chair.
The Chair or Vice Chair will
- establish the facts quickly, consulting as many people as possible
- have an informal discussion with all concerned to summarise the problem, hear everybody’s views and suggest possible solutions
- If the complaint relates to a minor issue, it should be made clear that no repetition of the action / behaviour will be tolerated.
All of the above should be done within 10 working days of someone raising the complaint.
If it is felt that there is a case to answer, and/or the complainant feels this has not been resolved to satisfaction and wants to go further, then a Panel will be formed by the Executive Committee.
The Panel will consist of three Executive Committee members plus one independent person from another Lib Dem local party, who will chair the Panel.
If the complaint is against a member of the Executive Committee, that member will not be part of the panel. The Panel will:
- Be chaired by an independent member of another Lib Dem party.
- Establish the facts, consulting as many people as possible
- Formally interview all those concerned. Everyone who is interviewed has the right to be accompanied by a colleague or representative.
- Decide on an appropriate outcome.
All of the above should be done within 25 working days of a decision to advance to stage 2.
If it is felt that the case requires a more formal approach – or the panel cannot bring a satisfactory solution and the complainant wants to take this further – National Liberal Democrat Guidance will be followed and information will be given by the Panel on how to escalate the complaint: