Stratford on Avon and South Warwickshire Liberal Democrats
Equality and Diversity Policy
The Liberal Democrats believe in a modern Britain of genuine openness and equality without exception. We champion a society where everyone is treated with dignity and respect, irrespective of their background, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or any other part of an individual's identity.
The Stratford on Avon and South Warwickshire Liberal Democrats are committed to promoting inclusion, diversity and equality in our local party, irrespective of age, invisible and visible disability or other mental physical or emotional health issue, ethnic origin, gender identity and reassignment, marital status and civil partnership, nationality, national origin, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, and socio-economic background. We are also committed to diversity inclusion and equality related to parental and other care responsibilities.
We also believe that we should all have the same opportunities regardless of where we come from or our circumstances. And that our children and grandchildren can be who they want to be without any fear of persecution or intrusion.
The Stratford on Avon and South Warwickshire Liberal Democrats (hereafter referred to as the ‘Local Party’) aim:
- to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members, candidates and party activists, whatever their race, gender identity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, employment status, socio-economic background, marital status, health status, age and ability.
- for our values to be reflected in everyday interactions within the local party and with the wider membership, local residents, groups and communities.
- to widen participation, ensuring equal opportunity in, and access to, our local party, with diversity reflected in our committees, our membership and candidates
- to offer forms of participation that take account of transport and access issues, and family and other caring responsibilities.
- to ensure a visible local presence reflecting fully our commitment and belief that in 21st century Britain discrimination is something none of us should need to fear.
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy areas:
We have developed an action plan to enable us to meet our aims. To this regard we have identified 6 areas:
1. Membership Recruitment
To encourage recruitment from all backgrounds but especially those typically under-represented in the Local Party.
2. Political candidates
To encourage recruitment from all backgrounds but especially those typically under-represented in local and national politics.
3. Widening Participation
To encourage members to participate in our meetings, campaigns, to stand as candidates.
To encourage a more diverse membership (as above).
4. Diversity Training
To ensure diversity training is implemented for the Local Party.
To provide training for party members dedicated to raising awareness about specific issues related to diversity and equality.
5. Links with community groups
To continue to develop links with local groups and the wider community.
To actively support the diverse communities in our area.
6. Communication and Promotion
To stand up and to speak out through our digital platforms and local print media against discrimination and racism
This policy reinforces our commitment to providing inclusion, equality and fairness to all in our Local Party. We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination, and will take appropriate action against all those concerned.
We have a supportive complaints procedure for those who experience discrimination or disadvantaging in our local party.
This policy will be monitored, reviewed and updated annually. This will enable the Local Party to reflect on the progress made and address any new challenge.
Last Reviewed in September 2021
Do you like this page?